About Curious World & Kidsy
The Curious World website and application are operated by Kidsy Limited, trading as Curious World. We are a company dedicated to the operation and development of apps and other digital products for children, aiming to engage, educate, and entertain. For more information, please see the About Us section of the Curious World website.
We collect, use and are responsible for certain personal information about you. We are regulated under the General Data Protection Regulation which applies across the European Union (including in the United Kingdom) and we are responsible as ‘controller’ of that personal information.
The Curious World App can be downloaded and the free content can be used without requiring a user to subscribe or provide any personal information.
Please note that your and your children’s interactions with a mobile or tablet device where Curious World is installed may involve Apple (or other device manufacturer or provider) and those interactions are governed separately by Apple’s (or such other party’s) privacy policies and terms.
We may also send alerts or notifications to your device as part of the usage and features of the Curious World App. These may include prompts or reminders to pay for a subscription that has lapsed or expired, or to notify you of important information about the usage of the app.
Interactions with third-party sites
On the Curious World website, which is intended solely for use by parents, guardians, or other adults, there is certain functionality that allows users to interact with and post or send user-generated content in a pre-templated fashion to Facebook or other third party platforms, social media sites and/or other applications or offerings.
The personal information we collect about you depends on the particular activities carried out through our website or app. Such information includes:
- your name and email address
- date of birth
- details of any feedback you give us by phone, email, post or via social media
- information about the services we provide to you
- your account details, such as username, login details
- information you chose to give us in relation to a Child Profile within your account, such as your child’s date of birth
We use this personal information to:
- create and manage your account with us;
- verify your identity;
- communicate with you about your purchase, account information, or customer service needs;
- provide goods and services to you;
- customize and/or personalize the viewing and content consumption experience of you and/or your child;
- notify you of any changes to our website or app or to our services that may affect you;
- improve our services;
- provide technical support to you; and
- perform any other lawful acts.
What information do we collect on parts of our app directed to children?
We have taken steps to have the Curious World App comply with the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA). For example, we do not use the Curious World App to collect personal information (as broadly defined by COPPA) for purposes of online behavioural advertising. We may, however, in compliance with COPPA, collect or share certain information to support our internal operations, such as for performing analytics, enabling or delivering certain types of content or features, and for improving or maintaining the Curious World App.
If you believe that we have collected personal information from someone under the age of 13, please contact us at: email@example.com.
Our legal basis for processing your personal information
When we use your personal information we are required to have a legal basis for doing so. There are various different legal bases upon which we may rely, and these will depend on the personal information in question and the specific context in which we collect it.
The legal bases we may rely on include:
- consent: where you have given us clear consent for us to process your personal information for a specific purpose
- contract: where our use of your personal information is necessary for a contract we have with you, or because you have asked us to take specific steps before entering into a contract
- legal obligation: where our use of your personal information is necessary for us to comply with the law (not including contractual obligations)
- legitimate interests: where our use of your personal information is necessary for our legitimate interests or the legitimate interests of a third party (unless there is a good reason to protect your personal information which overrides our legitimate interests)
We rely on your consent to use your personal information, and the limited information you may provide us about your children in setting up an account.
Who we share your personal information with
We will not share your Personal Information with third parties other than as follows. We do disclose (or permit third parties to collect on our behalf) information in order to provide services to us (such as hosting, operating online services, tracking activities and analytics, delivering content), and to enable some or all of the App's functionality. Our service providers are not permitted to use your Personal Information for their own purposes without your express consent, and we will not share your personal information with any other third party.
Some of these third party service providers may be based outside the European Economic Area (EEA) — for further information including on how we safeguard your personal data when this occurs, see ‘Transfer of your information out of the EEA’.
Transfer of your information out of the EEA
We may transfer your personal information to service providers which are located outside the European Economic Area (EEA), as follows:
- Service providers based both within and outside of the EEA, such as IT administration or infrastructure provision
- Communications and customer service providers based outside the EEA, such as Groove
- Analytics providers based outside the EEA, such as Google Analytics
Some of the countries in which these services are based do not have the same data protection laws as the United Kingdom and EEA. Any transfer of your personal information to these territories will be subject to a European Commission approved contract (as permitted under Article 46(5) of the General Data Protection Regulation), that is designed to help safeguard your privacy rights and give you remedies in the unlikely event of a misuse of your personal information. Please contact us if you would like more information (see ‘How to contact us’ below).
We will not otherwise transfer your personal data outside of the EEA or to any organisation (or subordinate bodies) governed by public international law or which is set up under any agreement between two or more countries.
Cookies and similar technologies
For further information on cookies generally, you can visit the third party websites www.aboutcookies.org or www.allaboutcookies.org.
We would like to send you information about Curious World, including competitions and promotions, which may be of interest to you. Where we have your consent or it is in our legitimate interests to do so, we may do this by post, email, telephone, text message (SMS) or automated call.
We will only ask whether you would like us to send you marketing messages when you tick the relevant boxes when you create a Curious World account. You may also sign up to receive messages from us through the homepage of our Website.
If you have previously agreed to being contacted in this way, you can unsubscribe at any time by:
- contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- using the ‘unsubscribe’ link in emails or ‘STOP’ number in texts
It may take up to seven (7) days for this to take place.
For more information on your rights in relation to marketing, see 'Your rights’ below.
Under the General Data Protection Regulation you have a number of important rights free of charge. In summary, those include rights to:
- fair processing of information and transparency over how we use your personal information
- require us to correct any mistakes in your information which we hold
- require the erasure of personal information concerning you in certain situations
- receive the personal information concerning you which you have provided to us, in a structured, commonly used and machine-readable format and have the right to transmit those data to a third party in certain situations
- object at any time to processing of personal information concerning you for direct marketing
- object to decisions being taken by automated means which produce legal effects concerning you or similarly significantly affect you
- object in certain other situations to our continued processing of your personal information
- otherwise restrict our processing of your personal information in certain circumstances
For further information on each of those rights, including the circumstances in which they apply, see the Guidance from the UK Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) on individuals rights under the General Data Protection Regulation.
If you would like to exercise any of those rights, please:
- email us at email@example.com, or write to us at Kidsy Ltd, 10 York Rd, London SE1 7ND,
- let us have enough information to identify you (e.g., the email address you registered with, your Apple ID),
- let us have proof of your identity and address (a copy of your driving licence or passport and a recent utility or credit card bill), and
- let us know the information to which your request relates, including any account or reference numbers, if you have them
Keeping your personal information secure
We have appropriate security measures in place to prevent personal information from being accidentally lost, or used or accessed in an unauthorised way. We limit access to your personal information to those who have a genuine business need to know it. Those processing your information will do so only in an authorised manner and are subject to a duty of confidentiality.
Protecting your information
We use all reasonable efforts to safeguard and secure your personal information while stored on our computer systems. We use a variety of industry standard security measures, such as requiring of a unique username and password for each user as well as encryption and authentication tools, to maintain the confidentiality of your personal information.
Your personal information is stored behind industry standard firewalls and is only accessible by a limited number of persons who are authorized to access such systems, and are required to keep the information confidential. We also use commercially reasonable efforts to safeguard and secure the transmission of your personal information from your computer to our computers. However, we are unable to guarantee that the security measures we take will not be penetrated or compromised or that your personal information will remain secure under all circumstances.
To help protect you and your children’s personal information, please make sure you have current anti-virus and firewall software installed on your device(s) and update such software and each device’s operating system software on a regular basis. Each user is responsible for maintaining the secrecy of his or her own or their children’s login and account or profile information and associated passwords. Also, please review the statements for your credit cards or other payment methods carefully and on a timely basis and please verify that all transactions are authorized and report any discrepancies immediately to your credit card company, bank or payment service provider.
We also have procedures in place to deal with any suspected data security breach. We will notify you and any applicable regulator of a suspected data security breach where we are legally required to do so.
How to complain
We hope that we can resolve any query or concern you raise about our use of your information. The General Data Protection Regulation also gives you right to lodge a complaint with a supervisory authority, in particular in the European Union (or European Economic Area) state where you work, normally live or where any alleged infringement of data protection laws occurred. The supervisory authority in the UK is the Information Commissioner who may be contacted at https://ico.org.uk/concerns/.
How to contact us
Please contact us if you have any questions about this privacy notice or the information we hold about you.
If you wish to contact us, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org, or write to Attn: Privacy, Kidsy Ltd, 10 York Rd, London SE1 7ND, United Kingdom. You can also call us on +1 (617) 682-9307, but please note that this phone number is not constantly manned. The best way to get in touch is by email.
Do you need extra help?